From Little Millet, to Barnyard millet, to Foxtail millet and Sorghum to Mappillai samba rice, let’s discover our ancient traditional grains and the benefits of these Plant based foods, one ingredient at a time.
Your power-packed breakfast platter of OGMO Overnight mixes now has another valuable addition: OGMO Idli Dosa premix!
There is nothing more divine than washing, soaking, grinding and fermenting batter to make the hearty meal of Idli or Dosa from scratch. However, with hectic lifestyle it could be a tough task.
OGMO made it easier for you to whip out your favourite traditional Indian meal. All you need is to add water and your breakfast, lunch and dinner is sorted.
The best part is the convenience attached to it. Just soak the premix overnight and the batter will be fermented and all ready to steam fluffy healthy Idlis.
It also combines the goodness of our ancient grains such as Mappillai Samba and unpolished Little Millet with Indian spices and herbs.
Why OGMO premix
Fibre and complex carb in Minor millet are weaved together and starts from the centre to the outer layer in concentric circles. If the grains are not pre-soaked before cooking, the fibre can cause bloating, indigestion and constipation.
Two most important pointers to remember while including these healthy Minor millet in your diet are;
1. Always opt for unpolished minor millets, as polished millet are devoid of many nutrients.
2. Pre-soaking the grains for 6-8 hours to loosen up the fibre layers.
OGMO premixes use wholegrain unpolished Little Millet which are rinsed with clean water, soaked for 8 hours, solar dried at the factory and powdered using our in-house grinder in small batches.
Probiotic benefits – When the OGMO premix is soaked overnight it kick starts the natural fermentation process.
Foods that have gone fermentation are rich in beneficial probiotic bacteria or ‘Good Bacteria’ and consumption of such foods have been associated with a range of health benefits – from better digestion to stronger immunity.
How to prepare traditional Fermented Idli
- Pour content in a bowl and add required amount of water.
- Combine well with no lumps and cover it.
- Let it ferment at warm place for 12-15 hours.
- Pour batter in Idli mould and steam for 8-10 minutes.
Instant Idli – Pour content in a bowl, add required amount of water and add 1 tsp. baking powder or Eno in it. Combine well. Pour batter in Idli mould and steam for 8-10 minutes.
Instant Dosa – Pour content in a bowl, add water and combine well. Rest it for 5 minutes and make dosa or crepes.
Other Uses – Roti, thepla, naan, pakora, savories, Uttapam, Panyaram, savory waffles & pancakes.
Follow the instructions on the pack and make the batter. To fasten the natural fermentation process for Idlis, use the following methods;
- Add a small tsp. of curd or old Idli batter in OGMO batter and keep it covered for 10-12 hours.
- Keep the batter in warm place, such as inside casserole or oven (switched off).
- Keep the batter over another vessel filled with warm water overnight.
- Mix the batter with hands (the microbes on your finger tips helps in fermentation process).
Multipurpose OGMO Premix
Various dishes can be prepared using the same OGMO premixes.
Idlis, dosas, uttapam, adai, dhokla, panyaram, chilla, Thalipeeth, ammini kozhukattai and various other traditional Indian dishes can be prepared using the same OGMO premix.
Check the recipes HERE
The Process of making the Premix
The wholegrain are rinsed with clean water, soaked for 7 hours (minor millet) to 12 hours (Mappillai Samba rice).
The soaked wholegrain are sun-dried and ground at the factory using our in-house grinder in small batches.
A few pictures attached below.
Why soaking and sprouting grains
The grains we eat are actually dormant seeds, holding the potential for whole new plant in it.
Soaking initiates the process of germination and unlocks the nutrient profile of grains.
Benefits of soaking & sprouting:
- It removes anti nutrients such as phytic acids from the grains.
- It helps the fibres in the deeper layers of millet to expand.
- It increases the bioavailability of key nutrients in grains.
- It simplifies the process of absorption and digestion of nutrients.
- It also removes the bitterness found in unsprouted wholegrain.
Mappillai samba or “Bridegroom Rice” is a native variety of rice and is grown predominantly in Tamil Nadu.
These endangered paddy seeds are very well adaptable to various climatic conditions and is also known for its unique medicinal properties.
OGMO Mappillai Idli Dosa is made with these indigenous heirloom red rice variety which are grown using natural farming methods without the use of pesticides or harmful chemicals.
Properties of Mapillai Samba rice:
- Rich in antioxidants
- Full of protein
- High fiber
- Rich in Vitamin B6
- High in zinc, magnesium & iron
- Low GI
- Improves immunity
- Increase haemoglobin content
- Gluten free
Small but mighty!
OGMO Idli dosa premix uses unpolished Little Millet which retain their bran layer, which is rich in disease-fighting phytochemicals. Unpolished millets come loaded with minerals and vitamins and is a healthier option than polished or processed millet.
Little Millet is rich in;
- Dietary fibers
- Minerals such as iron, magnesium, zinc, calcium and phosphorous
- Vitamin B3
- Antioxidants in the form of flavonoids, polyphenols
These low GI food with complex carb grains make an ideal food to combat diabetics as it prevents abnormal spike in blood sugar levels.
The abundance of antioxidants and other minerals play many roles in strengthening our immune defense system to fight against lifestyle diseases such as cardiovascular disease, obesity, inflammation and gastrointestinal problems.
OGMO Idli Dosa premix come in different variants;
- Little Millet Idli Dosa premix – Classic
- Mappillai Samba Idli Dosa premix – Classic
- Little Millet Idli Dosa premix – Masala
OGMO Idli Dosa premix is packed with the goodness of health benefits and come with a natural nutty flavours of unpolished grains.
It does not contain any preservatives.
So, what are you waiting for? Grab this healthier OGMO premix and enjoy your traditional food which is good for you, the farmers and the planet.
Discover the benefits of Plant based foods, one ingredient at a time.
Take charge – be healthy and happy!